Free Insurance Quotes
Get Free Insurance Quotes Online
Auto Health Home Life Travel
   Filing Claims
   Company Ratings
Home Insurance Glossary

Acts of God
Unpreventable events resulting from natural causes, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and storms. They differ from accidents that are the result of human factors.

Acts of God
Unpreventable events resulting from natural causes, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and storms. They differ from accidents that are the result of human factors.

Actual Cash Value
The cost to replace or repair a home after depreciation has been factored out. Also known as ACV.

Additional Living Expenses
A provision in a home insurance policy that reimburses policy owner for costs associated with having to find alternate housing (including mileage, meals and lodging) while repairs are being made to the property.

Appurtenant Structure
In a property insurance policy, "appurtenant structures" are buildings on the same premises as the main, insured building. Appurtenant structures like garages or barns on your property are usually covered by your policy.

Arbitration Clause
Provides a means for settlement when you and your insurer cannot agree on an acceptable claim payment. Appraisers representing each party select a neutral arbitrator. A judgment by any two of these three constitutes a binding settlement.

Broad Theft Coverage
An endorsement to a dwelling policy, which provides theft coverage for contents to a named insured, owner, occupant.

Business Personal Property
Refers to items or "contents" owned by your business or company (like the lap top you might bring home over the weekend).

Coverage A
Called "Dwelling", this is the part of your home insurance policy that covers the home itself: frame, flooring and fixed objects. The amount of Coverage A is the cost to replace the structure of your home in the event of total loss. Other coverages are usually based on a percentage of Coverage A.

Coverage B
This part of your policy covers "Other Structures": barns, sheds, garages.

Coverage C
"Personal Property" covers your belongings automatically for 50% of Coverage A.

Coverage D
"Loss of Use" takes into account expenses you will have if your home is uninhabitable because of a covered loss. It pays for temporary lodging and living expenses.

Coverage E
"Personal Liability" covers you for your legal responsibility for injury caused to others whether on or away from your own property.

Coverage F
"Medical Payments" pays medical costs if someone is injured on your property.

Debris Removal Clause
While most property policies cover only direct damages caused by an insured peril, the "debris removal clause" covers the cost of removing debris produced by the peril's occurrence. For example, a hurricane sweeps through the state and a fallen tree will be removed only if it lands on your house. Debris Removal reimburses you for the cost of cleaning all the broken limbs and rubble.

Direct Loss
This is a damage or loss resulting as a direct consequence of an insured peril. For example, a computer lost in a fire is a direct loss, while the data destroyed inside the computer is considered an indirect loss.

Dwelling Forms
These are polices which cover a residence dwelling or building and the personal property inside. You can buy dwelling forms that vary by the degree of coverage they offer.

Earthquake Endorsement
Most homeowner policies exclude coverage for earthquake damage. People who are concerned about the risk of earthquakes can add an Earthquake Endorsement to cover damages.

An acronym for "Fair Access to Insurance Requirements," FAIR offers insurance to people in high-risk areas who might otherwise be denied coverage. Reinsured by the United States government, FAIR is a pooling plan with policies for fire and allied perils.

In property insurance, "fire" refers to the unintentional or "hostile" occurrences of flame and combustion. Damage caused by fire in your fireplace, for instance, is not covered under your homeowner policy. But if your rug was ignited by a spark from that same fireplace, you would be covered.

Fire Resistive Construction
Building construction using fire-resistive materials in its roof, floors and exterior walls. See also Modified Fire-Resistive Construction.

Unfortunately, no building can be completely undamageable by fire. Insurers use the term "fire-resistive" to describe buildings, which are practically resistant to most fire damage.

A temporary submersion, partial or complete, of ordinarily dry land by water or mud. Floods are typically caused by an overflow of waters, whether inland, tidal or from any accumulated runoff from any source. Flood is excluded under a typical homeowner insurance policy.

Flood Insurance
Policies that cover property owners from losses caused by floods or flooding, usually offered in conjunction with a government flood insurance plan.

Frame Construction
The most common form of housing construction, frame buildings are made primarily of wood frames and joists.

Homeowner Policy
Combined property and liability insurance that covers homeowners and renters for damage to or theft of their property and liability, in case they are responsible for injury to another person.

Increased Cost of Construction Insurance
Commonly added as an endorsement to homeowners policies, it covers the additional costs of building repair or reconstruction when you rebuild with more expensive services, materials and techniques required by local ordinances.

Increased Hazard
Property insurance terms are tailored to the nature and use of the property as it exists when the policy is written. Should you introduce dangerous materials or activities into the property, like making fireworks, you will have added an increased hazard the liabilities if which would not be covered by your policy.

Indirect Loss
Also known as consequential loss or damage, indirect loss results from, but is not caused directly by, a peril. If your business property burned down, for instance, the property itself is a direct loss, while the lost business revenues would be considered an indirect loss.

Inherent Vice
A property flaw or fault that causes its own destruction. Damages from inherent vices are usually not covered through insurance.

Liability Coverage
Pays for injuries to others that may occur while on the homeowner's property. Also known as Liability Insurance.

Loss of Use Coverage
If your home becomes uninhabitable because of an insured peril, Loss of Use (Coverage D) provides compensation for additional living expenses incurred in an attempt to maintain a normal standard of living.

Loss Payable Clause
To protect lenders or lien holders, this clause extends coverage to parties with an insurable interest in your property, most often the institution holding your mortgage.

Mobile Home Policy
A homeowner policy for a permanently situated mobile home.

Modified Fire-Resistive Construction
Building construction featuring exterior walls, floors and roofs made of fire-resistive materials such as masonry or metal.

Named Perils
Named Perils Insurance covers specific perils listed in a policy, as opposed to an "all-risk insurance" covering all losses except the ones excluded by name in the policy.

National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
A program backed by the United States government to provide flood insurance for fixed property. The NFIP writes policies directly and offers reimbursement to private carriers offering flood insurance.

Property insurance rates reflect the way the property is used. In general, "owner occupied" homeowner policies are less expensive than "non-owner occupied" policies.

Off Premises
Coverage you can obtain for personal property or "contents" which are away from the principal insured property. In most cases, the amount of this coverage is limited to a percentage of the property's total coverage.

Other Structures
Generally detached structures, such as a garage or tool shed, sharing property with the insured dwelling. Under a homeowner policy, "other structures" are automatically covered for 10% of the limit chosen for Coverage A.

Personal Property
Any of your property, such as furniture, clothing and consumer electronics, other than real estate property. Your homeowner policy covers the personal property of you and your family members.

Physical Damage
Actual damage to your property.

Unfair discrimination against a risk based solely on its location. For example, the denial of property insurance to the owner of a building located in a depressed area.

Rental Value
Insurance Protection against loss of rental value or actual rent should the owner's insured property suffer damages prohibiting property use or tenant occupation.

Renter's Insurance
See HO-4.

Replacement Cost
Coverage for the cost of replacing damaged property at the time of loss with that of similar kind and quality. If you carry replacement cost coverage and have a loss, the insurer pays for the cost of a new replacement, minus any policy deductible.

Residence Premises
Where the insured lives. In homeowner insurance, this includes the dwelling, grounds and other structures, or that part of any other building in which you live.

Violent activity by more than one person. The number of persons it takes to constitute a riot varies by state. Your policy may cover riots through extended coverage or direct reference.

Sinkhole Collapse
A special form of earth movement, covered by some homeowner insurance, referring to the sudden collapse or sinking of land into empty, underground spaces eroded by water. Most other forms of earth movement remain excluded from ordinary policies.

Smoke Damage
As opposed to fire damage caused by combustion, heat or burning, this is damage attributable to the smoke itself.

Stated Amount
In your policy, you may choose to cover certain items for a specific amount. In the event of loss, the insurer pays the stated amount regardless of the property's actual value.

Tenants Policy
Another term for Renters Insurance. See HO-4.

Property without people occupying or living within it. As opposed to vacant property, unoccupied property may hold furnishings. Unoccupancy beyond a specified period of time is prohibited by the standard homeowner policy. See Vacant.

A building with nothing in it. While an "unoccupied" building is defined by not having people in it, a "vacant" building is also devoid of furnishings and other items. Vacancy beyond a specified period of time is prohibited by the standard homeowner policy. See: Unoccupied.

Vandalism and Malicious Mischief (V&MM or VMM)
Your homeowner policy should automatically cover you for willful destruction or damage performed by others to your property.

About  |  Advertise  |  Glossary  |  Resources  |  Privacy  |  Unsubscribe  |  Contact
© 2023 All rights reserved.